Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Next on the list...



Just as I had finished reading “The World is Flat” I was wondering whether I could keep up the momentum; as in follow it with a book.. similar in terms of impact and theme. Luckily participating in Stratagem (a biz plan event) in my college fest along with three of my good friends (Ashish, Atul and Rohit) paved the way for another interesting reading assignment. Finishing amongst the finalists ensured a gift voucher from Flipkart. After much deliberations I decided to go for “India After Gandhi” by Ramachandra Guha.



The idea behind going for this was that this book acts as a bridge between the school level history books and Thomas Friedman's “The World is Flat”. The school curriculum gave a good insight into the Indian socio-environment before Independence and Friedman very well points out how globalization has benefitted India and made it a fast growing robust economy. While this one talks in minute detail about the change India has undergone through after Independence which I find very appealing. Its something very different which we have been accustomed to - reading about India pre-Independence.

So, I am waiting for some free time after the semester (although its unlikely) but still I hope it would be yet another good reading experience.  

No comments: